Youth of the United Nations Association (YUNA) is a youth led non governmental organization that works to promote the work (values and principles) of United Nations (UN) and its further objectives in the country. Activities conducted by the organization focus on bridging the gap and bring young people closer to United Nations-UN in Tanzania. YUNA was founded in 1996 as the youth wing of UNA Tanzania but it was registered as a NGO in 2005 and has maintained the “youth wing” status with UNA Tanzania.
YUNA Tanzania is a member-based organization and to-date has succeeded maintains over thousands members in the country due to UN Chapters (UNC) in universities and colleges and UN Clubs (UNCTN) in secondary school within the country and outgoing school members.
- To gain more support for the spirit of the United among young people in/of Tanzania.
- To act all times in accordance with and in furtherance of the ideals,principles and objectives of the United Nations.
- To promote education sharing among youth in order to raise awareness regarding the United Nations, its charter and its work.
- To mobilize and empower youth, giving them skills and assisting them in realizing and utilizing their potentials individually and collectively under the guiding principles of the UN Charter.
- To strive for recognition of and respect of human rights and fundamental freedoms of young people and of recognition of the responsibilities and duties which those rights involve for individuals, groups and state.
- To give expression to the views of its members concerning the United Nations
- To cooperate with UNA Tanzania, WFUNA-Youth, UN agencies and other national and international organizations whose objectives include support of the United Nations and its development.
- To increase the organizational capacity of the association.
The Youth of the United Nations of Tanzania upholds the following core values:
- Volunteerism: We believe in the power of individuals volunteering their time and skills to create positive change in their communities.
- Gender Equality: We advocate for equal rights and opportunities for people of all genders, and strive to create a more inclusive and equitable society.
- Participatory: We encourage active participation and engagement of all members in decision-making processes, fostering a sense of ownership and responsibility.
- Accountability and Transparency: We value transparency and accountability in all our actions and processes, and work towards ensuring that all stakeholders are informed and involved.
- Partnership for Synergy: We recognize the importance of collaboration and partnerships with stakeholders, working together to achieve common goals.
- Creativity and Innovativeness: We embrace innovation and creativity in all aspects of our work, seeking new and innovative approaches to address challenges.
- Youth Involvement and Participation: We believe in empowering young people and giving them a voice, recognizing their unique perspectives and contributions.
- Sense of Common Purpose: We work towards a common goal, committed to creating a better future for all.
Our focus areas are:
- Health: We prioritize the promotion of sexual and reproductive health and rights, as well as gender equality.
- Environment: We recognize the critical role of youth in addressing climate change and environmental issues.
- Education: We believe that every young person deserves access to education and knowledge through both formal and non-formal sectors.
- Civic Engagement: We aim to enhance youth participation in civic processes and promote awareness of good governance, human rights, accountability, and leadership.
- Sustainable Development Goals: We focus on youth consultations in Tanzania to advance progress towards the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- WASH: We recognize the importance of access to clean water, sanitation, and hygiene, and work towards promoting WASH initiatives.
- Economic Empowerment: We aim to empower young people through economic initiatives and opportunities, enabling them to achieve their full potential.